Editor - Shout Magazine
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a talented Editor to lead our creative team on the award-winning Shout Magazine - the UK's best-selling teen lifestyle mag. Working closely with the Editor-In-Chief and Children’s Publisher, you will take an active part in determining the editorial strategy of the brand across print and online platforms and leading a team of staff to produce a relevant and engaging magazine within budgets and timelines. This person needs to be prepared to go the extra mile to create vibrant and engaging content for the teen market.
You will have a sound creative and commercial awareness, a deep understanding of the competitor set and a full understanding of the market as a whole.
The key responsibilities of this role will include:
- Working closely with Editor-In-Chief and Children’s Publisher to devise innovative long-term strategies for the future direction of the magazine.
- Motivating and driving team performance to respond to business and customer needs.
- Setting targets and ensuring Shout vision and values are communicated clearly to the whole team.
- Editorial responsibility for magazine content, plus any online activity, brand extensions, free gift creative content, layout and flat-planning.
- Liaising with all relevant departments to boost sales and revenue.
- Monitoring production, staff workload, stock transfer and all editorial costs associated with the magazine.
- Reviewing financial reports and taking appropriate action with respect to magazine content, budgets and revenues.
- Monitoring staff performance and ensuring development, training needs and personal development plans are completed.
- Working closely with features team, promotions team and advertising team to monetise online, print and covermounted content.
With previous experience of editing and leading a team in a fast-paced magazine environment, the successful candidate will be expected to actively seek opportunities to raise the magazine’s title brand and profile through effective reader engagement. You will ensure all revenue opportunities are maximised and have a proactive approach to building brand loyalty.
It is expected that the successful candidate will be educated to degree level or equivalent and have a proven track record of editorial experience.
In addition, it is anticipated you will have exceptional communication and interpersonal skills, a passion for magazines, great ideas on how to move the title forward and an open and enthusiastic personality. Experience of managing, leading and motivating a team is desirable.
For further information, please visit www.dcthomson.co.uk/careers
Closing date for applications is Friday 29th September 2017