The Data Manager is a member of the IT Services team and the Website Management Team, and has the responsibility to develop and support databases and information systems.
The client is an independent educational institute, based within the Edinburgh city bypass.
- To assist with setting up and monitoring procedures to ensure accuracy of data input
- To oversee the input of photos of staff and pupils and annual update of these
- To assist with the provision of appropriate training and documentation for MIS users, including providing individual support where necessary
- To maximise the use of core data in other applications
- To maintain, manage and keep MIS software up-to-date
- Liaise with all parties regarding the scheduling and testing of system updates
- To implement academic reporting system
- Liaise with the on reporting schedules and format of end of term reports
- Set up reporting schedules
- Set up report templates
- Oversee the progress of report completion
- Produce and distribute reports to parents
- To assist the Timetabler by importing the timetable into the MIS
- To assist the Exams Officer with External Exam entries and results
- To support Student Support tracking and set up report templates as required
- Provide various data reports as required to support various functions within the organisation
- Manage user accounts - creating for new members of staff and archiving/deleting for leaving staff
- Liaise with the main office regarding data on leavers
- Set access permissions appropriately to ensure that the system complies with the Data Protection obligations
- To advise and support other database applications as required, e.g.
- Library system: extract user data for OLIVER library system updates
- To maintain and enhance current in-house software applications with regard to the use of ODBC and Office macros
- To contribute to studies on the feasibility, costs and benefits of proposed solutions to requirements involving the purchase or development of software applications, and to provide written and oral presentations as required.
- Attend support seminars and conferences to ensure procedures are up-to-date and in line with best practice
- Record and report bugs and feature requests to software providers
- Specific targets for 2017-18
- Develop reporting capability using Microsoft SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS)
Key Tasks - Website
- Co-ordinate the day-to-day maintenance required to ensure the site operates to a minimum acceptable standard
- Liaise with the hosting provider regarding downtime or other technical issues, reporting any issues in a timely manner and communicating with the relevant internal audiences
- Ensure that the website complies with the Data Protection Policy and legal requirements, e.g. copyright, privacy
- Liaise with the website developers regarding bug fixes and the technical integration of new features to achieve strategic goals
- Ensure that access to the website management system remains secure
- Collaborate with the External Relations team to discuss, analyse, and resolve usability issues and deliver new pages/forms required for marketing purposes
- Ensure domain registration and Service Level Agreements are current
- Make day-to-day updates to the website as and when these are necessary/requested. Ensure content is in the specified editorial and technical mark-up format, and with sufficient quality to meet site goals. On occasion, this may require updates to be made out of hours.
- Maintain a record of all PDFs and expirable content to ensure updates are requested/made on time and no obsolete and out-of-date information exists on the website.
Ideally from an educational background, the successful candidate will be a seasoned Data/Web Manager with demonstrable experience in implementing and monitoring processes and reporting systems. You will have developed and supported databases and information systems with absolute accuracy and attention to detail. The successful applicant will be comfortable presenting their work to a number of people and being a point of contact for multiple members of faculty and staff. They will be used to working with many forms of data and working under pressure. Experience in GDPR would be very useful.
The client is offering a highly competitive salary and unrivalled holidays/benefits for an interesting and varied role in a prestigious institution. There is ongoing development in this role.