Board Member - Engineering Construction Industy Training Board
The ECITB is looking for 6 exceptional candidates who will quickly understand the needs of the engineering construction industry and will drive the organisation towards helping the industry attract, train and develop the skilled workforce it needs. Trustees will work with the Chair to hold the Executive Team to account for delivery of the organisation’s offer to the industry. The ECITB is primarily looking for individuals engaged in the employment of people in the industry, but applications from other types of candidates will not be discouraged. This is a four-year fixed term appointment.
As engineering construction skills are critical to the economy, this is an important time to join the Board. The governance of the ECITB has recently been revised, moving to a smaller more strategic board which is headed by Lynda Armstrong OBE.
Board Members will be required to:
• Support the Chair in ensuring ECITB policies and actions meet the needs of the industry and support the wider strategic policies of Governments in England, Scotland and Wales.
• Ensure the ECITB meets its statutory, legal and regulatory obligations, and delivers against its core purposes.
• Promote the support ECITB provides to the industry and represent the organisation at external functions, meetings and events.
• Enthusiastically lead and participate in committees such as the Audit and Risk Committee, Remuneration Committee and Qualifications and Awards committee bringing impartiality and objectivity to the decision making process.
• Ensure that decisions are taken in the best, long-term interests of the organisation and Industry and take collective ownership of Board decisions.
• Conduct regular self-assessments and assessments of Board and Council effectiveness, as well as undertaking an annual performance review with the Chair.
• One of the Trustees will be the Deputy Chair of the Board and Chair of the advisory Council.
The board seeks to promote diversity and equality and we encourage applications from all candidates regardless of ethnicity, religion or belief, gender, sexual orientation, age or disability
Candidates will be expected to demonstrate the following skills and experience:
• Strong interpersonal communication and influencing skills together with the political acumen and personal impact to successfully engage and influence a range of senior stakeholders.
• An ability to think strategically, analytically and to address complex challenges.
• The capacity to work effectively alongside the Executive Management team.
• An ability to challenge, influence and produce sound, independent judgement.
• A team player, approachable, participative, confident in fostering co-operative working between Council members, Trustees, the Executive and stakeholders.
• Sufficient time and interest to participate fully in the work of the Board and to be an active ambassador and advocate for the ECITB.
• Recent corporate experience at Board/senior level in an organisation of comparable or large size. Ideally, this should be within the engineering construction industry.
• A sound understanding and knowledge of the strategic challenges that emanate from the economic, political and technological environment in England, Scotland and Wales.
• High level of knowledge and understanding of employment needs and emergent trends and developments within the industry.
• An appreciation of non executive roles and the capacity to work with a non-executive board of trustees.
• An understanding of the working of a non-departmental public body and the associated governance requirements would be desirable.
• One of the Trustees will be appointed as the Deputy Chair. This individual will be expected to have the ability to lead the advisory Council and in the event of a vacant chair, the Board of Trustees.
Have one or more of the following skills:
• Finance/Audit including risk management
• Skills and training
• Human Resources
• Governance and legal understanding
• Qualifications and awards
• Knowledge of the Nuclear or Renewable or Oil & Gas Sectors
• Experience of industry associations
How to Apply:
Visit the Cabinet Office's Centre for Public Appointments via the link below to apply.
The closing date for applications is 7 March 2018.
Interviews will be held on 23 April 2018.