- Ref: JAVNE1
- Location: Edinburgh
- Salary: Up to £55,000 plus benefits
- Contract Length: Permanent or 23 month fixed term contracts with possible extension (dependent on eligibility)
- Travel: flexibility to travel across the UK up to 5 days a week
The Client Innovation Centre (CIC) is a new, innovative and exciting part of IBM. A fast-paced and dynamic business, built to deliver high-value technical services to world renowned clients. Since opening our first UK office in Leicester in Spring 2015, we’ve significantly grown. We currently have five UK centres, with offices in Leicester, Hursley, Thames Valley (Swindon), and the North (Preston & Newcastle), along with a group specialising in Microsoft applications. All of our employees work in a consultancy environment on a variety of exciting projects across a range of sectors. Every project has its own unique working environment - this enables our employees to build their experience, skillset and network.
About the Role
Developer candidates will need to demonstrate a proven track record in development for specific systems on a range of platforms including Linux, Microsoft and various mobile environments. You will be working in distributed agile team and you will have experience in all stages of the development life-cycle including design, build, coding and test. As part of this role you will:
- Assist in analysis of client specification
- Design solutions for applications, technical refreshes and software upgrades
- Identify and help to manage multiple and complex dependencies.
- Be responsible for live incident analysis and fixing
If you are looking to develop your career in a friendly and upbeat working environment, adaptable and resilient to change then IBM Client Innovation Centre UK is an excellent place to take this step.
The following characteristics are important in our employees:
- Passion - to make a difference
- Collaboration - because we accomplish more when we work together
- Exploration - openness to explore new places, ideas, and technologies
- Insightfulness - it is important to understand things from different viewpoints
The following technical skills are important:
- Experience of Java or similar language
- Understanding of n-Tier Enterprise Applications
- Experience of XML & XSD
- Knowledge of Relational Database Modelling, UML Modelling and SQL
- Working knowledge of Unit Testing Frameworks (Junit)
Desirable skills also include:
- Knowledge of and ability to apply SOLID principles
- Exposure to SAFe
- Exposure to Rational Software Architect
- Previous work with Web Services and API’s
What we offer
We are proud of our training and development opportunities. As part of the CIC, you will be welcome to undertake a multitude of training courses with an extensive range of classroom, e-learning, interactive and video courses. With our support, you will have the opportunity to acquire industry recognised qualifications, gain valuable experience with globally renowned companies and work with industry leading technologies. This will enable you to grow within our business which we support via promotion and progression opportunities.
As an equal opportunities employer, we welcome applications from individuals of all backgrounds. However, in order for you to be eligible for this role, all applicants must hold a UK work permit or visa valid for a two year period prior to applying. Unfortunately, we do not offer visa sponsorship and have no future plans to do so. For certain projects, ideally candidates will be British Nationals with a minimum of 5 years UK residency, preferably 10 years.