A fantastic opportunity has arisen for a Heritage Manager to join The Cabrach Trust based in Lower Cabrach, Moray. In return, we offer a competitive salary of £34K per annum plus benefits to include on site accommodation (if required) pension contributions of 5% in line with Government NEST pension scheme, attractive working location, flexible working hours by arrangement and the opportunity for further training and career development.
The Cabrach Trust is an exciting, innovative young heritage organisation. Our vision is to utilize our heritage to regenerate a fragile highland region. The Cabrach is a unique and rare place, a place where time appears to have stood still and which acts as a testament to highland generations past. The Trust is currently undertaking a series of local development projects putting heritage at the heart of an ambitious regeneration programme for the area.
The Heritage Manager will be responsible for supporting the conversion of Inverharroch Steadings to create the Cabrach Heritage Centre by developing the cultural and museum strategy for the site, helping trustees to fine tune the plans for the Heritage Centre, working with community to document, collate and safeguard cultural heritage and liaising with other heritage professionals including historians and archaeologists to better understand the site and location.
Duties will involve:
- Working closely with the Executive Director and the Project Manager on the delivery of this project you will understand the need to balance the preservation of cultural heritage in the Cabrach with the necessity to generate a sustainable income from the operation of the Centre
- Working with academic partners to undertake further historical research and develop archive material for the heritage centre
- Working with community, architects and archaeologists to carry out the archaeological investigations and standing buildings survey
- Work with local community to document, collate and safeguard local heritage
- Liaise with external agencies and key advisors such as Historic Environment Scotland, Architectural Heritage Fund, County Archaeology Service
- Liaise with project architects and other key members of the project team
- Work with specialist museum designers to prepare information, materials and text for interpretation
- Procure suppliers and manage supplier relationships
- Develop commercial partnerships where appropriate
- Manage time and tasks to deliver the project to the agreed timescale
- Work with the Executive Director to attract further funding for the project
- Prepare project documentation such as project briefs and tender specifications
- Commission/Prepare key strategic documents and reports including, Conservation Management Plan, heritage and museums plan, audience interpretation strategy
- Develop, collate materials for the museum
- Co-ordinate and oversee installation and commissioning of the heritage centre and exhibition spaces
The successful Heritage Manager will have:
- Demonstrable experience of working on heritage projects in a project management capacity
- Experience of developing strategic document such as cultural and museum strategy
- Demonstrable experience in community engagement including working with a diverse range of stakeholders
- A relevant qualification at degree level or above, such as heritage management, museum studies, architecture, history, or similar
- The ability to work in a remote environment
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Independence and the ability to plan and manage a challenging workload
- A full clean driving licence and use of a car
The deadline for applications is Tuesday 12th June, 10am, applications received after this deadline will not be considered. Interviews will be held on: Wednesday 20th June.
The hours of work are full time, 37 hours a week, any 5 out of 7 days, Monday – Sunday.
This is position is based on a 12-month fixed term contract initially with the option to extend.
The Cabrach Trust is a charity registered in Scotland with the charity number: SC043771.
Please apply online today to be considered for the Heritage Manager role with a CV and covering letter explaining in detail why your skills, experience and ambitions would suit this role, making close reference to the person specification.