Community Accountability Co-ordinator
To support the Community Accountability Manager and Director for External Relations, in the implementation of strategy and in service delivery, to meet agreed aims, objectives and priorities.
To work as part of a team, directly engaging with elected members and senior officers in local government and policing, stakeholders and local communities, to support the improvement of scrutiny, engagement and the local accountability of policing, and to promote the role of the SPA.
To support the delivery of the SPA's community accountability plans across Scotland, by designing and co-ordinating engagement and scrutiny activities on the effectiveness of police contribution to local community planning, community engagement, and local outcomes.
To organise, design and deliver delegated local meetings and engagement activity, maintain appropriate records, analyse outcomes, and report findings and recommendations to the Community Accountability Manager.
ACCOUNTABILITIES AND MAIN RESPONSIBILITIES
1. To advise and support SPA members with prioritisation, briefing, analysis, and co-ordination of relationships with key stakeholders around the local scrutiny of policing, and local community planning (including all local authorities in Scotland).
2. To support the Community Accountability Manager in the development and delivery of strategies and action plans to improve the effectiveness of local scrutiny, and foster links between local scrutiny local priorities, and national approaches.
3. To contribute to the development and implementation of a targeted engagement approach with community planning and community safety partnerships, local scrutiny bodies and local authorities, and communities of place and interest, in a way which is consistent with the SPA's community accountability objectives and outcomes.
- To plan, co-ordinate, attend and participate in meetings with local elected members, Police Scotland, and professional officers to foster good working relationships, research key priorities, identify areas of perceived service or reputational risk, and develop shared strategies and proposals for improving engagement and accountability.
- Act as the sole representative of the SPA at a range of local meetings with elected members or senior officers, in a way which demonstrates good understanding of the existing strategic context and service pressures, promotes SPA strategies and policies, and enhances the SPA's reputation.
- To maintain appropriate records to support both feedback and intelligence gathering (undertake analytical work guided by Community Accountability Manager and or Performance Analyst) related to community planning and community safety partnerships, and known local priorities.
7. To assess and report to the Community Accountability Manager on any complex or sensitive, issues, or risks, relating to community accountability and highlight potential solutions.
8. To work directly with key stakeholders, to enhance and support the SPA's leadership role in developing active participation in Local Police planning and scrutiny.
- Actively contribute to the design and delivery of strategies which support the SPA to maximise the effectiveness of partnerships with key stakeholders to support local and national outcomes.
10. To build and maintain effective working relationships with relevant stakeholders, in particular with local authorities, other community partners, and local area Police Scotland Commanders and their teams
11. To lead specific projects within the Community Accountability Work Programme, manage relationships with key partners and external organisations to support project delivery, and ensure delivery within a defined budget and to agreed timescales.
12. To support and where necessary deputise for the Community Accountability Manager in meetings, correspondence, planning, risk assessment, decision-making, and reporting
13. To research and prepare information briefings and reports for Committees, board members, staff, public, and partners on issues with a direct bearing on the delivery and scrutiny of local policing, linked to relevant context around service and political sensitivity.
- May be required to undertake additional duties across wider Communications and Relationships function dependent on demand and in support of organisational resilience.
- Will be responsible for assessing and self-managing risk within all aspects of the role.
The above accountabilities and responsibilities are not exhaustive, and the Jobholder may be required to undertake additional duties that are consistent with the level and grading of the role.
Educated to Degree level or equivalent qualification
In the absence of formal qualifications, relevant working experience is required in order to support familiarisation and on the job training for the role.
Experience in community planning