EARLY YEARS PRACTITIONER (Maternity Cover)
St Margaret’s School for Girls is the oldest all-through girls’ school in Scotland and the only single sex school in Aberdeen. The school enjoys a fine reputation for academic excellence. We offer a wide choice of subjects and extra-curricular activities, and encourage all girls to aim high. Further details may be found on our website: www.st-margaret.aberdeen.sch.uk.
The Nursery at St Margaret’s welcomes up to 32 girls and boys from 3-5 years old. In spacious and attractive surroundings, the children are presented with a wide range of activities and appropriate challenges designed to promote active learning. On a daily basis the children benefit from an enclosed, secure outdoor learning space where they enjoy exploring our mud kitchen, playground equipment and loose parts. Outdoor learning is further developed through regular excursions in the local area as well as through our weekly participation in Wee Green Spaces.
We are seeking a fully qualified, enthusiastic and motivated early years practitioner to join our dynamic nursery team, which comprises a nursery manager, nursery teacher and three early years practitioners. The nursery team is a valued part of the wider St Margaret’s staff community and both nursery children and staff benefit from the opportunities which arise in our all-through school. Applicants must be SSSC registered or willing to register and keep up-to-date with training requirements.
- Planning, implementing, assessing and evaluating the nursery curriculum (Curriculum for Excellence) for all the children.
- Assessing children’s development and evaluating and developing next steps ensuring children are engaged and motivated to learn.
- Observing, listening and interacting with children in order to support their learning.
- Contributing to record keeping and reporting of children’s progress.
- Creating a supportive, nurturing environment in which the children are encouraged and supported to develop their self-esteem and self-confidence.
- Attending to the care and health and safety needs of the children and recording appropriately.
- Planning on a weekly basis with the nursery staff and attending weekly staff meetings.
- Participating in all aspects of team work within the nursery, including preparation and care of resources, supervising and supporting students, preparing, supervising and supporting at snack and lunchtimes and ensuring cleanliness and maintenance of nursery equipment.
- Leading circle time, music, craft, baking and story time activities.
- Supervising toilet and tooth brushing routines and changing children if necessary.
- Recording information from parents and informing the nursery manager.
- Communicating effectively with children, parents, staff and other professionals, verbally, non-verbally and in written form.
- Collaborating and working in partnership with parents and professionals regarding the children’s learning and development.
- Attending in-service training courses as appropriate and keeping up-to-date with current theory and practice through continuing professional development.
36 hours per week, term time only; 8am to 3pm Monday to Friday, with an additional hour for a staff meeting.
From time to time, there may also be opportunities for the successful candidate to work in our very successful holiday club.
Applicants are invited from qualified early years practitioners. Qualification Requirements: HNC Early Education and Childcare or equivalent or S/NVQ Level 3 Children's Care and Development or equivalent
Remuneration and benefits
The salary for this position is £19,666.20.
The successful candidate will be automatically enrolled into the school’s support staff pension scheme, but will have the right to opt out. Staff with dependents attending the school will be eligible for a 40% remission on school fees (or pro-rate for part time staff). St Margaret’s has an Employee Assistance programme which offers free and confidential advice on both work and personal issues.
How to apply
Applicants should write a letter of application to the Headteacher, Miss Anna Tomlinson, and send this with a full CV and completed application form to St Margaret’s School for Girls, 15-17 Albyn Place, Aberdeen, AB21 9AQ or firstname.lastname@example.org. For further information about the position, please call Miss Jenn Minett, Nursery Manager, on 01224 584466.
Closing date for applications Monday 1st October
Start date Monday 29th October