Transmission Senior System Planning & Investment Engineer
Job Title: Senior Transmission System Planning & Investment Engineer
Location: Perth, Glasgow, or Inverness
Salary: £36,500 - £66,000 + car/cash allowance + annual bonus
Permanent | Flexible working patterns available | 37 hours
The Transmission System Planning & Investment team is a critical function within the SHE Transmission business. It has the specialist technical capability and experience to undertake the system studies and designs required to plan the current and future Transmission network, and ensures that safety, security of supply and performance of the network is maintained in accordance with required planning standards, Grid Code, SQSS and other licence obligations.
Senior Transmission System Planning & Investment Engineers report to a Transmission System Planning & Investment Manager. You'll have a technical/functional Lead responsibility, and therefore functional and/or cross team management roles, but you'll not have line management responsibilities.
1. Carry out, review and direct, where appropriate, system studies, technical assessments, planning and development of the Transmission network.
2. Lead, coordinate and govern specific technical or functional area across teams in Transmission System and Investment Planning, e.g. System Analysis, Business Cases, LCP Governance.
3. Ensure compliance with statutory, regulatory and licence requirements in the most economic, efficient and co-ordinated manner.
4. Assess network performance, and network capability, and identify options to maintain or enhance these.
5. Make engineering recommendations for network improvements to meet the current and future requirements of SHE Transmission.
6. Coach and mentor junior staff members by providing training and regular review of work and deliverables.
Your Skills and Experience
You'll have a degree in Electrical Engineering or another relevant engineering discipline and ideally be a Chartered Engineer in a relevant institution. You'll also have demonstrable experience in Network Planning, ideally in the GB Electricity Transmission sector, with knowledge of relevant industry and technical standards, and how these evolve. You should have good knowledge of the industry structure, including interfaces with the Regulator, System Operator, other Transmission Owners and Distribution Networks. You'll also have an understanding of the commercial mechanisms for investments, including statutory processes, and the Licence Obligations under which SHE Transmission operates.
You should possess good communication skills and feel comfortable communicating at all levels with the ability to present on a range of technical subjects with the ability to form structured arguments with reasoned justification to influence and guide others. You should possess the ability to write clear and well-structured technical reports and specifications, and provide focussed information for senior management. This role requires that you are organised and methodical with the ability to prioritise your workload against demanding targets and deadlines.
At Scottish and Southern Electricity Networks (SSEN), our skilled teams operate and maintain our electricity transmission and distribution networks, carrying electricity to over 3.7 million homes across Scotland north of the Central Belt and Central Southern England.
Transmission operates under licence as Scottish Hydro Electric (SHE) Transmission plc, responsible for the transmission of electricity in the north of Scotland. We own and maintain the 132kV, 275kV and 400kV electricity transmission network in our licence area. Our network comprises of underground cables, overhead wooden poles, steel towers and electricity substations, and it extends over a quarter of the UK land mass across some of its most challenging terrain.
We have an excellent benefits package as part of our offering. Here's a few highlights;
- Generous holiday allowance (you can even buy additional holidays)
- Great share plans
- Group Pension Plan
- One day paid volunteering
- Tailored internal development opportunities
Just click the Apply button to submit your application, it doesn't take long. As well as your CV, can you please attach a letter which addresses the key role requirements.
Closing date for applications is: Sunday 23rd of September 2018
This vacancy is open to internal and external candidates. If you're internal, please notify your line manager before you submit your application. If you're successful, we'll conduct some pre-employment checks.