Commercial Policy Engineer
Job Title: Commercial Policy Engineer
Location: Perth or Portsmouth
Salary: £39,413 - £52,055 depending on skills and experience
Permanent | Full Time Hours with flexible working patterns available| 37 hours per week
We have an exciting opportunity for a Policy Analyst to join our team, responsible for a range of activities including;
- providing advice in relation to existing internal policies
- decision making in relation to the introduction of new policies
- wider consideration of industry policy change and any potential impact on SSEN.
Working within the Commercial and Connections Policy team, your role will be wide spanning, and hold responsibilities including;
- developing, reviewing, and maintaining the commercial policy associated with all aspects of connections
- ensuring compliance with company policy, licence conditions and national and international standards across distribution
- develop and monitor robust policies, processes and procedures to ensure regulatory and statutory compliance with licence obligations
- liaising closely with colleagues and internal teams, such as Distribution, Regulation and Legal, to ensure that the Commercial Policy Team deliver optimum performance in all set targets
- consider and implement appropriate actions in response to wider industry policy changes
This role is a unique opportunity to be part of the Commercial Policy team, and gain access to a wide range of projects and stakeholders, both internal and external to the business. You'll have opportunities to attend industry events and forums with third parties such as the Scottish Government, BEIS and Ofgem to discuss policy and related issues. Internal opportunities will also exist, and may include being a representative for Policy on high profile projects.
Your Skills and Experience
To ensure you get the most from your role, we ask that you have the following to join us;
- sound commercial knowledge, and experience in a similar role
- track record of delivering successful projects to time and budget
- experience of managing third party project relationships, including experience working with regulatory bodies such as Ofgem and the Scottish Government
- outstanding communication skills, with an ability to tailor your approach to your audience, and an ability to relay complex messages in an easy to understand manner
- strong organisation skills; you'll be working on a wide span on projects, so you should be great at managing your own time and working with deadlines
Whilst the above skills and experience are key for your application, the ones that follow aren't essential, but wold be highly advantageous;
- qualification in Engineering based subject (min. HND level)
- experience within our industry, specifically DNO experience
- knowledge and understanding of distribution and transmission networks, and how your role fits into this market
At Scottish and Southern Electricity Networks (SSEN), our skilled teams operate and maintain our electricity distribution and transmission networks, carrying electricity to over 3.7 million homes across the north of the Central Belt of Scotland and Central Southern England.
Our Commercial and Connections teams are the first point of contact for customers wishing to have a new electricity connection, increase the size of their existing connection, install generation, or move the equipment supplying their property. We're here to help whether our customers are building a single home, housing development, industrial development, generation development or independent distribution network. Our responsibility is to respond to challenging changes in our licence obligations, growing levels of competition and play a key role in progression to a low carbon future.
We have an excellent benefits package as part of our offering. Here's a few highlights;
- Generous holiday allowance (you can even buy additional holidays)
- Great share plans
- Group Pension Plan
- One day paid volunteering
- Tailored internal development opportunities
Just click the Apply button to submit your application, it doesn't take long.
Closing date for applications is: Wednesday, 24 October 2018.
This vacancy is open to internal and external candidates. If you're internal, please notify your line manager before you submit your application. If you're successful, we'll conduct some pre-employment checks.