Senior Civil Project Engineer
Job Title: Senior Civil Project Engineer
Location: Inverness, Aberdeen, Perth, Glasgow
Salary: £36,900 - £56,500 depending on skills and experience + car/cash allowance + annual bonus
Permanent |Full Time Hours with flexible working patterns available |37 hours per week
As Senior Civil Project Engineer, you'll provide specialist engineering support on high profile and technically complex projects. You'll be responsible for reviewing or approving designs through the development and execution phases.
As a Senior Engineer, you will supervise (but not line manage) and direct Engineers within their specialist discipline and assist in the development of staff within the Transmission Engineering team. Using your technical expertise, you'll drive decision making and support other projects through peer review of key issues.
You will be expected to promote best practice within Civil design and construction through suggested improvements in specifications, technology options and management of engineering risks. You will also give technical input to design reviews carried out by the Design Authority for Transmission Projects.
You'll promote and manage safety within your assigned projects through the implementation of CDM procedures and practices, ensuring the engineering issues are compliant with relevant company, HSE and industry regulations. You will have responsibility for Engineering delivery on your assigned projects of a typical capital value of £50M - £150M. Working closely with Engineering Managers, Lead Project Managers and Project Managers you'll ensure that Engineering and Quality risks are identified and understood, and projects are successfully delivered.
Your Skills and Experience
- The ideal candidate for this role will have the following skills and experience:
- Chartered Engineer with appropriate Engineering Institution.
- Degree in Civil Engineering or other appropriate engineering discipline.
- Knowledge and experience of Energy or Networks industries are preferable.
- Good technical knowledge of industry standards and specifications, and technical specifications, and how to determine applicability of relevant standards.
- Experience in ensuring compliance with the CDM regulations.
- Ability to communicate complex technical issues in a clear and concise manner to facilitate decision making by senior management.
- You should be confident working alongside key stakeholders at all levels both internally and externally with an appetite for building strong, lasting relationships.
Personal Attributes / Competencies
- Ability to problem solve and develop structured risk based solutions to address key issues.
- Approachable, but thorough and demanding in seeking solutions/results.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to guide work, including outputs, to inform relevant audience.
At Scottish and Southern Electricity Networks (SSEN), our skilled teams operate and maintain our electricity distribution and transmission networks, carrying electricity to over 3.7 million homes across the north of the Central Belt of Scotland and Central Southern England.
Transmission operates under licence as Scottish Hydro Electric (SHE) Transmission plc, responsible for the transmission of electricity in the north of Scotland. We own and maintain the 132kV, 275kV and 400kV electricity transmission network in our licence area. Our network comprises of underground cables, overhead wooden poles, steel towers and electricity substations, and it extends over a quarter of the UK land mass across some of its most challenging terrain.
We have seen unprecedented growth in renewable generation in the north of Scotland over the previous decade which has triggered significant investment in growing and improving our transmission network. We expect further renewable growth with the associated requirement to continue to develop and grow our network.
We have an excellent benefits package as part of our offering. Here's a few highlights;
- Generous holiday allowance (you can even buy additional holidays)
- Great share plans
- Group Pension Plan
- One day paid volunteering
- Tailored internal development opportunities
Just click the Apply button to submit your application, it doesn't take long.
Closing date for applications is: Sunday 11th November 2018
This vacancy is open to internal and external candidates. If you're internal, please notify your line manager before you submit your application. If you're successful, we'll conduct some pre-employment checks.