Overhead Line Subject Matter Expert
Job Title: Overhead Line Subject Matter Expert
Location: Aberdeen, Glasgow, Inverness or Perth
Salary: £42,500 - £63,500 depending on skills and experience + car/cash allowance + annual bonus
Permanent | Full Time Hours with flexible working patterns available 37 hours
The Subject Matter Expert role supports the newly created Technical Team within Transmission to provide clear technical guidance and governance for Projects, Transmission Planning, Operations and Asset Management. This team is the single point of contact for technical policy and specification based decisions, and is separate from the traditional Engineering function.
Reflecting the level of reliability required on the network, this team is required to cover all critical areas of expertise for effective operation of the SHE Transmission network, in accordance with governing requirements such as the Grid Code and SQSS. The level of individual expertise will typically be at the level required for a Technical Authority.
As the Overhead Line Subject Matter Expert you will;
- Write, maintain and own technical specifications required for all overhead line designs and equipment used for assets on the Transmission network.
- Review existing specifications and update them based on lessons learnt from projects and to include development of technology.
- Provide guidance to other teams on the use and interpretation of SSE and industry specifications, and any additional or altered requirements.
- Represent Transmission at industry body events such as ENA or Cigre working groups and attend conferences to identify technology and opportunities.
- Work closely with project engineers to review or produce project technical specifications (and Engineering Works Information).
- With project engineers, you will review proposed suppliers to confirm their suitability where specialist input is required.
- As a Technical Authority, you'll review test plans to ensure that all technology and equipment selected is adequately tested, proven and validated.
- Verify project proposals and identify any scope changes required to ensure equipment ratings are not exceeded.
- Provide technical guidance to Asset Management for equipment replacement strategy and to Operations regarding equipment capability.
- Provide subject matter expertise in fault or failure analysis and input to design reviews.
- Assist with the development of staff within Transmission Technical and Project Engineering teams.
Your Skills and Experience
The ideal candidate for this role will have;
- A degree in Electrical or Mechanical Engineering or another relevant engineering discipline
- Chartered Engineer with a relevant institution or working towards chartered status.
- Demonstrable experience in transmission overhead line development, design and specification
- The ability to technically assess issues and/or problems and critically assess a range of technical solutions.
- A detailed knowledge and understanding of a range of National Grid, British and European Standards
- An in depth understanding of the technical requirements for design, planning, operation and development of the transmission network.
- Computer skills encompassing spreadsheets, databases and project management tools.
- Experience of manufacturing or testing of overhead line components and overhead line construction experience would also be advantageous.
You should possess strong communication skills and feel comfortable communicating at all levels with the ability to present on a range of technical subjects with the ability to form structured arguments with reasoned justification to influence and guide others. You should also possess the ability to write clear and well-structured technical reports and specifications.
At Scottish and Southern Electricity Networks (SSEN), our skilled teams operate and maintain our electricity distribution and transmission networks, carrying electricity to over 3.7 million homes across the north of the Central Belt of Scotland and Central Southern England.
Transmission operates under licence as Scottish Hydro Electric (SHE) Transmission plc, responsible for the transmission of electricity in the north of Scotland. We own and maintain the 132kV, 275kV and 400kV electricity transmission network in our licence area. Our network comprises of underground cables, overhead wooden poles, steel towers and electricity substations, and it extends over a quarter of the UK land mass across some of its most challenging terrain.
We have an excellent benefits package as part of our offering. Here's a few highlights;
- Generous holiday allowance (you can even buy additional holidays)
- Great share plans
- Group Pension Plan
- One day paid volunteering
- Tailored internal development opportunities
Just click the Apply button to submit your application, it doesn't take long.
Closing date for applications is: Thursday 15th of November 2018
This vacancy is open to internal and external candidates. If you're internal, please notify your line manager before you submit your application. If you're successful, we'll conduct some pre-employment checks.