Design Engineer (Submarine Cable Projects)
Location: Perth / Glasgow / Inverness / Aberdeen
Salary: £39,123 - £52,055 depending on skills and experience
Permanent | Full Time Hours | 37 hours per week
Working within the submarine cables team, you will be responsible for the engineering design of our submarine cabling projects. Projects will range from the inspection of existing submarine cables to the survey and installation of replacement submarine cables to maintenance and repairs and the decommissioning of existing submarine cables. You will be responsible for managing the preliminary route identification and route assessment stage, through to the development of the detailed design and route engineering to support the installation phase of the projects.
Safety is our number one priority at Scottish and Southern Electricity Networks. You will be responsible for supporting the preparation of pre-construction information and engagement with our marine contractors during the design and delivery phases of the project. You will carry out continual design risk assessments and design risk reviews to support this.
You will also need to support the submarine cables team by providing engineering or technical guidance relating to project designs, consents and delivery. Considering stakeholder views within the design development phase of the projects is important and you will be responsible for communicating with and developing internal and external relationships.
Your Skills and Experience
To ensure you get the most from your role, and our customers receive the highest standard of service, we ask that you have the following prior to joining us;
- Experience of submarine cable route design and landfall assessment, carrying out route engineering analysis and specifying methods of cable installation, burial and protection based on survey data.
- Experience of preparing and managing project tender packages for survey operations, cable installations, inspection of existing cables and cable decommissioning. This includes responding to technical engineering clarifications and evaluation of tender submissions.
- Knowledge and application of the Construction, Design and Management Regulations 2015.
- Experience of preparing pre-construction information, carrying out design risk assessments and design risk reviews.
- Ability to provide technical support to submarine cable design manager, team colleagues, internal and external stakeholders.
- Experience in considering stakeholder views within the design development.
- Degree qualified or equivalent experience (Electrical engineering preferable but not essential).
- Extensive experience post qualification experience in a relevant industry.
The following is also desirable but not essential experience;
- Knowledge of the operation of the electrical distribution network.
- Knowledge of submarine cable design and construction up to 33kV.
- Experience of onshore cable routeing assessment for subsequent connection of the submarine cable to the distribution network.
- Knowledge of submarine cable installation, both in deep and shallow waters, and aspects that may affect the cable integrity during installation and operation.
- Experience of working on projects under New Engineering and Construction contracts.
At Scottish and Southern Electricity Networks (SSEN), our skilled teams operate and maintain our electricity distribution and transmission networks, carrying electricity to over 3.7 million homes across the north of the Central Belt of Scotland and Central Southern England.
Operations are responsible for keeping the lights on; we are at the front line on the Network. If we find a fault, it is our responsibility to respond to the fault, and dispatch our skilled teams to fix it as quickly as possible. We work in all hours, and through all weathers, ensuring our customers are never without power.
We have an excellent benefits package as part of our offering. Here's a few highlights;
- Generous holiday allowance (you can even buy additional holidays)
- Great share plans
- Group Pension Plan
- One day paid volunteering
- Tailored internal development opportunities
For more information about this role, or to discuss any adjustments you require to submit your application please get in touch via sse.
Just click the Apply button to submit your application, it doesn't take long.
Closing date for applications is: Wednesday, 12 December 2018.
This vacancy is open to internal and external candidates. If you're internal, please notify your line manager before you submit your application. If you're successful, we'll conduct some pre-employment checks.