Consents and Authorisations Case Officer
The Oil and Gas Authority ("OGA") was formally established by the Energy Act 2016 (the "Energy Act") as the independent regulator of the UK's upstream oil and gas sector with a three-fold purpose: to regulate, influence and promote the UK oil and gas industry to maximise the economic recovery of UK offshore oil and gas resources ("MER UK"). The OGA works with industry, government and other relevant stakeholders (for example industry trade associations, business organisations, universities and trade unions) to focus collective efforts on the delivery of MER UK.
The Consents and Authorisations team, which forms part of the Regulation Directorate, plays a key role at the heart of the OGA and is responsible for issuing the formal consents and authorisations to enable oil and gas fields to be developed and hydrocarbons produced. The team are responsible for ensuring that all development plans for oil and gas fields comply with existing legislation and that consents and authorisations related to them are issued within target timeframes. The work involves the preparation and approval of legal documentation, dealing with complex development applications, providing regulatory and policy advice to both company representatives and colleagues and supporting the Head of Consents & Authorisations with ad hoc work. The post holder will hold responsibility for the successful delivery of related business improvement projects.
This is an opportunity to work within a team with a portfolio at the very centre of the OGA's mission to maximise the value of the UK's oil and gas resources. The role will suit someone looking for an exciting new challenge with experience of delivering an efficient operational or regulatory service in government, another regulator, or the oil and gas industry.
Detailed job description and key responsibilities
The key aspects of the role will include:
- Managing casework to ensure that all consents and authorisations for UKCS and onshore terminals, related to new Field Development plans and further consents, and ongoing developments are issued in accordance with current legislation and within target timeframes.
- Consents and Authorisations are partly processed on the UK Energy Portal and partly outside the portal. The post holder will contribute positive ideas to all business processes and projects working with a spirit of continuous improvement.
- Working with oil and gas companies to ensure that the flaring and venting of gas from installations is minimised and allowed only in accordance with current policy.
- Liaising with BEIS, HSE, Crown Estate and others as part of the consultation process for applications.
- Preparing consents for authorising
- Preparing progress reports and similar
- Mentoring others in the team
- Ensuring work is documented and meets current standards
- Provide cover for all team members as necessary
The role is based in Aberdeen and the successful candidate will report directly to the Consents & Authorisations Manager. We value equality and diversity in employment and welcome applications from all sectors of society.
The closing date is 25 January 2019.