Category Manager - Civils
Job Title Category Manager
Salary: £36,000 - £54,000
Permanent | Full Time Hours with flexible working patterns available
The Category Manager will liaise with the Lead Category Manager and the Head of Category Management on a regular basis to provide updates on category performance and provide additional insight through reporting and commentary as required. They will manage the relationship with suppliers and in-conjunction with Procurement & Commercial Managers/Project Managers coordinate monitoring of supplier performance and interface with the Business to understand demand for and the impact of sourcing activities.
* Work closely with internal and external stakeholders to ensure the development and delivery of category strategies are aligned with corporate and business unit strategies and value drivers.
* Develop and foster relationships with stakeholders, technical specialists, suppliers, collaborative bodies and market place forums.
* Create an efficient interface for other departments to work effectively with the category team.
* Drive consultation processes with stakeholders to ensure procurement activities mirror actual service requirements.
* Conduct category management in accordance with the overall procurement strategy, procurement processes and procedures and category management framework.
* Produce, develop, monitor and amend category plans as required to support the business.
* Ensure category management delivers against targets and objectives (such as cost avoidance/reduction and total cost of ownership/quality improvements).
* Periodically support the Procurement Officers during tender processes to ensure effective buying in accordance with sourcing strategies.
* Coach all relevant parties on category management to build the capability and awareness within the organisation.
* Proactive and effective support of the wider Procurement & Commercial (P&C) team. Work closely with all P&C colleagues to ensure they have clear priorities aligned with business objectives.
* Conduct peer reviews on category management plans to ensure high quality plans are developed and executed to maximise value creation.
* Maintain and lead an expert level of knowledge of the supply chain for assigned categories of spend to ensure there is a sustainable value driver for required categories.
* To lead on continuous improvement activities in developing routes to procurement based on market developments and changes to service requirements, develop clear service specification documents that enable best service provision fit.
* Understand cost drivers and value levers when reviewing or formulating specifications and make sure potential costs are fully understood.
* Use knowledge to ensure correct supplier performance KPI's are in place and monitored, in conjunction with Procurement & Commercial Mangers/Contract Managers to maintain and improve supplier performance for each category and across the Group.
* You will be responsible for analysing the spend per category to detail opportunities such as; savings, strategic importance to the organisation, level of risk or to simply identify any lack of compliance with the category plan.
* You will be accountable for measuring, analysing and managing the supplier ability to comply with, and exceed, their contractual obligations. This will include regular reviews with both the Procurement & Commercial Managers and Contract Managers throughout the duration of contract delivery.
* Reducing risk through implementation of contractual rigour, improving sustainability and facilitating the drive to improve the quality and reliability of the supply chain.
* Adhere to all Company policies and procedures and relevant laws and regulations.
* Support external and internal audit activities as required, such as providing information as requested in a timely manner.
* Maintain an effective control environment and respond to breaches/weaknesses appropriately in conjuction with Internal Audit.
* Ensure that all category-related operational activity and documentation is captured and properly recorded.
* Broad knowledge of markets and various aspects of a group of products and services.
* Broad understanding of the market place.
* Understand business needs and be able to put them in overall context.
* Comprehensive knowledge of UK and Ireland Utilities Contracts Regulations.
Essential Functional / Technical Skills
* Good understanding and experience of Category Management and its implementation.
* Minimum of 5 years procurement experience in a similar industry.
* CIPS qualification preferred but not essential.
* Personal proven track record in executing complex procurement activities.
* Project management skills.
* Broad knowledge of contracts with ability to draft special terms, including dispute procedures.
* Knowledge of relevant statutory and legal provisions.
* Detailed knowledge of Company procurement policy and procedures.
* Understanding of the supply chain and how to improve it.
* Knowledge of Procurement related systems e.g. Oracle, Emptoris, Achilles Utilities Vendor Database.
* Ability to influence people outside own sphere of responsibility.
* Advanced negotiation skills.
* Highly numerate.
* Highly developed drafting and writing skills.
* Decision Maker.
* Customer Focused.
* Influencing and Leadership.
* Strategic thinking.
* High self confidence - confidence to challenge the norm and think creatively.
* Self motivated.
* Organised and systematic.
* Strong ethical principles.
* Excellent communication and presentation skills.
* Good team player.
* Conflict resolution.
Personal Attributes / Competencies
* Works independently, target focused and result driven, strong ability to bring about change, energetic and driven taking a hands-on approach.
* Develops an atmosphere of confidence, respect, and trust, acts as a role model within the team, strong service and customer orientation.
* Delivers on tasks effectively, produces high quality outputs in a timely fashion.
* Builds relationships across all levels of the organisation, as well as externally.
* Solves complex problems, develops new and innovative ways to overcome issues.
Key Financial Measures
* Procurement of complex, long term and strategic supply contracts to achieve category specific cost avoidance and/or reductions in total cost of ownership. This could involve individual contracts ranging in value from £10k to circa £2bn.
* Proportional share of annual procurement and commercial savings - (total annual cost of ownership savings) target circa £250m plus cash realisation and cost avoidance etc.
Key Projects / Activities Managed
* Prepare and execute Category Plans for allocated category area(s).
* Drafting and reviewing special terms for one-off projects - risk mitigation.
* Guiding the development of procurement systems and processes.
* Any other activities identified by the Head of Category Management.
We all have different skills here at SSE and that's what makes us stand out. We all take pride in a job well done and share the belief that an inclusive culture is key to our success and vision for the future. Passionate about people and proud of our award winning customer service, we go to great lengths to extend these values to our employees. This enables our diverse workforce the flexibility and opportunity of developing to their full potential. Above all, safety is at the heart of everything we do at SSE and we live by the mantra 'if it's not safe, we don't do it'.
Lots of good things, including 34 days' holidays (inclusive of public holidays), pension plans and paid volunteering days. Click here for a full breakdown; http://sse.com/careers/benefits-and-development/
Just click the Apply button to submit your application, it doesn't take long.
Closing date for applications is: Monday 14th January 2019
This vacancy is open to internal and external candidates. If you're internal, please notify your line manager before you submit your application. If you're successful, we'll conduct some pre-employment checks.