IT Infrastructure Administrator - Monitoring
IT Infrastructure Administrator - Monitoring
Salary: £35,000 - £45,000
Benefits: 9% discretionary bonus at target, 28 + 8 days holiday, Excellent Pension, Flexi Benefits
Royal London is the largest mutual life, pensions and investment company in the UK, with Group funds under management of £114 billion and latest ProfitShare pay out to members of £142 million. Group businesses provide around 9.0 million policies and employ 3,669 people. (Figures quoted are as at 10 May 2018).
Founded as a Friendly Society in a London coffee shop in 1861, Royal London started out with the aim to help people avoid the stigma of a pauper's grave. Since then we have been helping people help themselves and are committed to delivering the best value for customers and putting members first.
An exciting opportunity has arisen for an IT Infrastructure Administrator to join our Infrastructure Team based in Edinburgh. Reporting into the IT Infrastructure Services Manager and operating within an IT Shared Services model you will be responsible for owning our monitoring solution. You will be part of a wider Infrastructure team providing infrastructure support focusing on the production estate but with an opportunity to gain more exposure to continuous improvement and project work. This role would suit someone who has previous experience working in a monitoring role with a strong knowledge of Microsoft technologies and is enthusiastic about technology and is keen to learn and develop technically.
- Owner of all things related to HP OMI monitoring platform - provide deep technical expertise across infrastructure and application spaces
- Determine actions plan around gaps and drive resolution
- Establish standards and working practices so they are both repeatable and optimal
- Define platform roadmap for monitoring & observability
- Stand up dashboards and regular reporting mechanisms
- Provide knowledge and domain expertise to wider IT areas
- Managing platform health, availability and integrity to an acceptable level
- Monitor, manage and where necessary improve performance of monitoring system
- Work with multi-skilled DevOps teams
- Day-to-day operational and functional support of HP OMI monitoring tool following established processes and procedures.
- Perform planned platform upgrades/patching
- Performance monitoring and optimisation
- General monitoring of Servers and systems to check for things like, disk space, backups, events, updates etc.
- Support of new initiatives and project to deliver and support new management tools
- Liaising with the development and support teams to provide solutions to problems or issues.
- Quickly respond to high impact application incident/service outages, to assist in issue diagnosis and service restoration
- Problems investigated, recommendations made and implemented (if feasible) Identify Weakness and risk issues across the estate.
- Identify opportunities for improvement in services.
Skills, Qualifications & Experience:
- Proven experience defining architectural patterns for monitoring & observability and driving adoption and change
- Experience of working with modern monitoring stacks
- Experience of fine tuning systems to ensure relevant metric capture across environments
- Experience developing centralise filtering and priority based alerting
- Experience of monitoring common Enterprise infrastructure components including DC, Network, OS, Virtual, Application, Middleware, Database spaces
- Expertise knowledge of monitoring approaches across virtualised environments across multi data centre environments
- Good scripting knowledge in PowerShell, VBScript or C#.
- Strong ownership, ability to work undirected to discover gaps and propose and
- Strong working knowledge of all Microsoft technologies
- Good understanding of VMware & storage technologies, monitoring capacity and performance and automation of systems and process.
- Good written and oral communication skills.
- Excellent team working skills and good technical leadership skills.
Royal London is an equal opportunities employer. We work hard to attract the best talent for our award-winning team. We believe that embracing difference makes us stronger. Our diverse people bring us different skills - whatever their educational background, disability, gender, age, sexual orientation, race, religion or belief.
We will consider flexible working arrangements for all our roles. We also welcome applications from individuals who have taken an extended career break.
To apply, please use the 'Apply Online' link below
For a confidential discussion on the role or to apply, please contact Danny Palmer at the following address: